Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Tips for Creating the Story of Your Life!


By 

Women in Business Giving Thousands of Ordinary Women Reason to Feel Extraordinary. Read!
Google Apps for Small Biz Google Apps is a suite of tools for your business. Try Free for 30-Days
MBA in HR Management Get an MBA in HR Management with US$640 Off Tuition Fee. Apply Now!
Expert Author Bernadette Boas
I never really paid attention to the literal meaning of the question "So, what's your story?" I often found it to be sarcasm or merely a spin on asking "What's up?"
However, over the last five years, since being handed a pink slip of freedom from Corporate America, and journeying out into my own entrepreneurship adventure, everything I now do to position myself and my company, is tell my story. It's what every customer, prospect, vendor or partner, even relationship suitor wants: to know, like and trust - my story; YOUR story.
But for a long time, about forty years to be exact, I had no idea of what my story was. And as much as I would love to say I found it along the way, it was more like it was forced on me. If I wanted to put food on the table and a roof over my head, I needed to define, know and believe my story. Once I did, it soon became apparent, that every one of us, in both corporate and small business, whether you receive a paycheck or you have to earn it yourself, has to have their story.
A story that gets people to like, know and trust you. A story that is real and truthful, while provocative, unique or valuable. But first, before anyone else will want to invest in your story, personally or professionally, you have to like, know and trust yourself. Once you do, you will be a magnet and others will want to hire you, do business with you, promote you, follow you, and even, if available, date, marry, and love you.
As a corporate executive for years myself, I never understood this concept of having a story. It confused me even more when prospective clients or peers would ask me, "What is your personal brand?" Gasping in complete confusion, I would respond "What are you talking about?"
Simple, it is your values, beliefs, experiences, mindset and skillset, and so much more, that makes up your 'story'. It is the story that allows someone to know you on a level of like, knowledge and trust, which in turn provokes them to want to engage, collaborate and involve themselves with you.
And if your story, your personal brand, is not one that you like right now or don't know just yet, this is the perfect time for you to shed, change and create the story you want your life to be. How exciting is that?
Here are tips for changing, shedding or creating your story that will reap you riches in business and life:
  • Become aware of your current story - on a piece of paper, answer the following question - Who am I (as a woman/man, sibling, spouse/partner/lover, professional/business owner, friend, daughter/son, aunt/uncle, teammate/manager, as a money manager, house organizer, etc)... ?
o Consider all areas of your life that make up who you are right now and how the people, places and things in your life define you
  • Review and decide for yourself if your current story is what you want or not.
  • If you decide that you want to change, shed parts of, or create a different story then - on a piece of paper, write out the response to - Who do I want to be (what, where, when, how, and with whom)?
o Now, Circle key words that stand out for you in your story which could be key traits, characteristics, power words, goals, aspirations, that will now become part of your story to be used in marketing yourself, your business and your life.
  • Once that is written out, answer the question - Why do I want this story versus my own?
o You are doing this separately because your response to Why will provide you the priority or urgency to make the changes necessary to create, shed or change your story
  • Decide for yourself if your WHY is big enough for you to move on to the next step. If so:
  • Write down 3 things you could be doing today to create, shed, or change your story to the story you want.
  • Lastly, now go and act on them. Focus each day on creating the story that you want, so your story can lead you to the riches in business and life you want.
And the next time someone asks you, "What's your story?" you will have a perfect answer. You!
Bernadette Boas is the ball of fire behind Ball of Fire Consulting, Ball of Fire Inc. (media/publishing) and her book Shedding the Corporate Bitch, Shifting Bitches to Riches in Life and Business. Bernadette is a speaker, radio personality of Shedding the Bitch Radio, coach, and the leader of the Shedding the Bitch® movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment